Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Couch Potatoes

Anyone who knows us knows about our couches. They were so, so bad. I mean, we consider ourselves very blessed - we love our house, our dogs, our jobs...everything. God has been good to us. And even the couches were good - for awhile. Patrick moved into his condo and his aunt and uncle gave them to him. They were comfy, big, and denim. We got the slip covers but they didn't fit quite right. We were always straightening them, one bloody knuckle from the twill at a time.

So we saved and finally got ourselves our "dream" couch from Crate & Barrel. I think I mentioned going to visit it at the store every once in a while, so we had plenty of time to picture it in the room and imagine diving into it.

Problem - or should I say opportunity? - was that once you get something nice in the room, everything else looked a shade better than horrid. So we promptly got a new rug I had been eyeing too. I painted the tables, and within a week, our room turned into this:



We're still working some things out. And the chaise that Patrick originally questioned has turned out to be "his spot" every night. I prefer the corner.

They said it would take a few weeks to get the cushions adjusted perfectly, but I'd say they're well adjusted right now. :)


It's an interesting thing, really, to make a house a home. The "nesting" phase as they call it. Why do we want to make a home our own so badly? Why do we feel the need to inject personality and comfort into such spaces? Well whatever it is, it's not just putting the colors together and picking the perfect accessories, it really feels like we're building these little lives for ourselves as a family now, and that's more than something we could visit in the store.

Come on over...there's a seat waiting for you!

7 comments:

Julie said...

Looks gorg - can't wait to come test it all out!!! :o)

Joye said...

ooooooh.! So while I will say that it looks GrEAT, I can say it is SO comfy! It looks so nice with the rug...which, was my fav of the 2, and Kel....the table turned out great! (You may want to blog about that, too!) It's fun when a plan comes together, huh? Can't wait to try it out again!

Lynne said...

Love it all Kel - what a great idea to paint those tables, they look totally different!! The room is really loverly now!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!! The tables turned out FAB, Kel:) I love the couch with that carpet and the whole space just looks framed now, I adore it!!! I cannot wait to come visit;) YAY for making a house a home:)

Taylor K said...

The couch looks ultra comfy! I also love the area rug. So cute.

Unknown said...

wow!!! how exciting!! looks so good!! and you know how much i get the whole making a house your home thing, a girl after my own heart!!!

Liz said...

Love the new couch!
You know you are a real grown up when you have nice furniture.