April is a busy time around this family, it turns out. It's the end of birthday season, and this is the first year (YAY!) but Julie & Ryan's and Patrick and my anniversary were all the same weekend, which of course, was the same weekend as mom's birthday, for which I created this cake: (it looked much better in person).
Well, we celebrated Mother's Day the following weekend, and Julie and I both thought we were making the dessert. And seriously - she told me to make it a few days earlier. Anyway. When one is good, two is better, so we decided on a friendly competition.
The rules:
Couldn't be store bought, of course.
Mom would not see them in advance
Logan would not see it in advance (for obvious reasons)
They would be plated on the same plate.
So - I made a Chocolate Raspberry Genoise Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache. Julie made this mocha mousee chocolate crunch thing. (As you can see, we played to mom's appetite. She loves both dark chocolate and mocha, so there was something for her in each one).
(I have tried to upload this a million times and it comes out vertical, even though it's horizontal. I don't understand.)
Well, look. I had made this recipe before a few times, but the last time was quite a while ago. For some reason, the chocolate in the ganache was too oily - it was Ghiradelli, and come to find out, it is too oily to melt. I made it twice, it wasn't perfect, but it was good. But I was SURE Julie was going to win. Hers was perfect.
Together, they were quite a sight. Logan and Jake were in HEAVEN. As I recall, Jake was quite upset all night and didn't eat any dinner, but when the cake came out, there were giggles to spare. TWO DESSERTS!
Mom tried to be diplomatic - she said she didn't want to choose - and I loved Julie's - it was creamy, sweet, dark, delicious. But let's face it - I'm just better.
ha ha just kidding.
But I did win. :)

4 comments:
I think I can smell all the frosting from the cakes.... and it smells yummy.
Geez, they both look great...Feb. 17, bake-off in MI-forget dinner, we'll just have desserts!! (of course, you'll have to go up against Sarah this time too) I'm really just trying to have 3 desserts, I have to 1-up your Mom!
Loved that cake with the roses too!! Looks so yummy!!!
it truly was a HARD decision.....and I truly loved them both...each for their own flavor. Really it was CLOSE...and on the next day I might have picked the other. There's just something about raspberries and dark chocolate. LOVE THaT Combo! Plus it was about as rich as you could get, so i had to limit my piece. With Julie's i would have eaten the whole thing! OH MY Gosh that was SOOOOO goood too! I hate picking!
Oh...and that cake with the roses was WONDErFUL!
Thanks for posting them....great memories!
Mmmhmmm, whatever... everyone else except the judge (thanks a lot, Mom!) picked mine. I worked hard on that sucker - do you know how hard it was to hide from Logan??!
Anyway, they were all delicious, because, let's face it, I'm a dessert lover. Thanks for the rose cake, too... they were all delish!
Post a Comment