Monday, November 24, 2008

evolution of a cake

I don't know why I volunteered to make the cake, but no sooner than the words were out of my mouth that i knew exactly what I was going to do. Problem was, I hadn't made a layer cake in years. And this was her 30th birthday - I could NOT mess it up. SO i made trials. weeks and weeks and cakes and cakes of trials (thank you to everyone who helped taste test - and it was a lot of you!). All of that for this final batch:

Look at all this buttercream! I think I made 14 batches of buttercream - it weighed SO MUCH:
(PS i only used like 1/5 of it because i had to thin it out...)

I thought I would make five layers...but no...wayyyyy too tall. My ruffle towers would have come to a major crash! The cake was this dark chocolate creme cake and then buttermilk vanilla for the white - it tasted like a sugar cookie! I have the recipes for anyone who wants them...



Four layers w the frosting - what a sloppy mess of deliciousness:


This was the hardest part - the "undercoat" to make sure it didn't have too many chocolate crumbs in it...

Finally, all the ruffles complete! This is the top:

Side:
Whole enchilada:

On fire! (PS, Julie, the candles in the middle were the sparkler kind but they didn't have enough time to get going!)

Can someone else have a birthday so I can try a new cake?? OOOH Jake's is coming up...

7 comments:

Julie said...

It was so yummy!! I had some more tonight. Mmmmmmmm. :o) Thanks for all of your hard work, and of course to all those who HAD to taste test.

Lynne said...

Can you freeze a piece until next week?? :-)

JuliAnna said...

Gosh, Kelley - you are amazing:) I am impressed. It looks great, it turned out perfectly!! Martha's got nothing on you:)

Julie said...

Yeah, I'll freeze some. It's so good.

Joye said...

i forgot to ask you for a taste yesterday, Jules! Freeze a bite for me, too! Kel....it's BEEEEAUTIFUL!!!!

Kelley said...

NO i will make a new one! they are SO good fresh - chocolate or vanilla?

Julie said...

i say both! :oD j/k... either one is delish!!