Got some news. Grandpa Roberts, my mom's dad, got to go to Heaven this week. This past Thursday night he passed away after a few days of his body shutting down. He was 89 years old and up till the end, he lived in health, with love and kindness. His smile was just so darn cute - and even the last time I saw him, he couldn't find his words but his heart remembered and he would smile and you knew what he was trying to say, as cheesy as that sounds. You just knew.
It's been a selfishly sad couple of days. Mom called me just as I was leaving Sarah's house in Michigan on Thursday and told me he was very ill and wouldn't make it. I was so heartbroken that I couldn't be there to be with him. I totally believe that his mind knew what was happening, and though wasn't in pain, it must be a tough thing to realize you're going to leave. I was so sad I couldn't be there for mom, and sad that I wasn't going to make it back in time. It's all so selfish. I just wanted to be with him maybe just one more time. Quite honestly, the hardest time for me was laying in bed wide awake on Thursday night in very north Michigan, knowing that grandpa was still alive breathing somewhere and soon he wouldn't be and how strange that is.
But everything is okay. After one very selfishly sad day, mom called to tell me he had passed away on Thursday night but it was okay. It was just alright and I was so happy that he was with Grandma again. Isn't it a weird thing to be so happy for something you cannot describe and yet so sad for your loss. Anyway, he and grandma are together again, and probably laughing at how their life on earth was so different, how their ailments kept them down - grandma with her eyes and grandpa with his diabetes and heart trouble these last few years. They must be laughing with their new bodies now and all they can do in Heaven and enjoy and still be so in love. And silly. This picture is from grandma's birthday - i can't remember which one.

Whenever I miss grandma - which is oddly all the time and never - I think of my favorite worship song line, "Better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere."
And I will say that when I miss grandpa too. But I know I will see them soon. We all miss you, grandma and grandpa. And we love you and thank you for everything you've ever given us and taught us and for the love you showered on us. Thank you and we love you. Byebye for now. :)

7 comments:
Nothing like a good cry first thing in the morning... :o)
tell me about it...
wow..too many tears to write now...will comment later
wow, Kel.....thank you for saying it so eloquently. They were definitely the best parents we could have been blessed with, and i thank you so much for honoring them with these words. They loved each and everyone of you SO much, and we were so very lucky to have them for so many years! Gramps was not one for so many words, but always had lots of love for ALL of us. We will miss him, but Grandma and him are so together right now, and happy and without worry or pain. For that we are so grateful. God is good!
PS....tooooo many tears for me, too. :-(
Kelley, I am so sorry to hear about your loss and can truly say that I understand how you feel. I am keeping your and your family in my thoughts and prayer.
Love, JAK
I've been thinking about them both all week because I too see them in heaven, holding hands and smiling! As hard as it is, it is a relief to know they are together again and it is as it should be. I'm so sorry he is gone, that they are gone...I have so many fond memories and feel honored to have known them all these years - sure am glad I was lucky enough to get their daughter as a sister-in-law!! Tears...well that is a given in this family ;-)
kelley, what a wonderful tribute to your grandparents. they are together again in paradise. no more pain, only happiness now. i know you all miss them so much. rejoice in the fact that you will to, see them again, someday in paradise!!
our deepest sympathy to you all, they were such wonderful people. keep their memory alive in your hearts!! and may you have peace knowing right where they are.
love and prayers always.
Post a Comment